Photo by © ClydeHouse
The Palazzo Pitti is situated on the south bank of River Arno in Florence, a short distance from the Ponte Vecchio. The palace is originally the town residence of Luca Pitti, an ambitious Florentine banker. Then it was bought by the Medici family in 1549 and became the main residence for then ruling families of Grand Duchy of Tuscany. Pssing through generations, it grew as a great treasure house amassed paintings, plates, jewelry and the family’s luxurious possessions.
In the late 18th century, the palazzo was used as Napoleon’s power house and conducting base. Then later in a brief period, it served as the principal royal palace of the newly united Italy. In 1919 the palace and its contents were donated to the Italian people by King Victor Emmanuel III, and its doors were opened to the public as one of Florence’s largest art galleries. [Ref. Wiki: Palazzo Pitti]